Oklahoma's National Register of Historic Places

Use your browser's back button to return to the query.

ID Number 95000033
Historic Name BRISTOW TIRE SHOP
Description of Significance DESIGNED TO SERVE THE NEEDS OF THE ROUTE 66 TRAVELER, THE BRISTOW TIRE SHOP PROVIDED FUEL AND TIRE REPAIR SERVICES BEGINNING IN THE EARLY 1920S. ITS ARCHITECTURAL DETAILS AND MATERIALS IDENTIFY THE TIRE SHOP WITH THE ITALIAN RENAISSANCE STYLE OF ARCHITECTURE POPULAR IN THE UNITED STATES BETWEEN 1890 AND 1935. THIS BUILDING RETAINS A HIGH DEGREE OF INTEGRITY, WITH MOST MODIFICATIONS HAVING BEEN MADE TO THE REAR OF THE BUILDING. LISTED IN NATIONAL REGISTER 2/23/1995.
Current Name BRISTOW TIRE SERVICE
Address 115 W. 4TH
City BRISTOW
County CREEK
Lot EAST 1/2 OF LOT 26, AND ALL OF LOTS 27, 28, 29, AND 30
Block 79
Current Section
Township
Range
Type BUILDING
Historic Function COMMERCIAL/TRADE
Current Function COMMERCE/TRADE
Area Signficance 1 COMMERCE
Area Significance 2 ARCHITECTURE
Date Prepared MAY 31, 1992
Year Built POST 1923
Original Site YES
Architect/Builder
Architectural Style ITALIAN RENAISSANCE
Roof Material PRESSED TIN
Wall Material BRICK
Window Material WOOD
Door Material WOOD
Decorative Details THE MOST PROMINENT FEATURE IS THE ORIGINAL SERVICE BAY, WHICH EXTENDS OUT FROM THE FRONT OF THE OFFICE. THE PORTE COCHERE IS SUPPORTED AT THE CORNER BY MASSIVE BRICK COLUMNS. THE CEILING OF THE PORTE COCHERE IS COVERED WITH DECORATIVE PRESS TIN.
Condition GOOD
Comments ALTERATIONS: GARAGE ADDED
Restricted N